Tournament starts: FEBRUARY 1st 2017
MUST PURCHASE A 2017 FLORIDA SPEARFISHING HAT, THEN (WITH YOUR HAT NUMBER THAT WILL BE ATTACHED TO THE HAT) COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION ON THIS SITE.
Florida Spearfishing Tournament Rules
NEW twist for 2017!-- We now announce that we're including the SPEARED TOP DOG! Rules for the top dog: Person with the longest length of fish at the end of the year will be crowned Florida Spearfishing's Speared TOP DOG. It is up to the participant to keep track. Post pictures the same way you would for any other category, on the Facebook Group. You can only lead in one species of fish, but if you can enter your catch if you're trying for the Speared Top Dog. Start entering your fish now, but we will not start the leader board until June 1st.
Person with the longest length of fish is the winner, however, the most species trumps the length! -- Example: A person with an overall length f 120 inches is in the lead with 4 different species of fish. Someone can take the lead with a smaller overall length, but 5 species. So the person with the most species will always win, if there are multiple people with all species, we will crown the winner based on the total length!
Lionfish will be counted in the Speared TOP DOG, however, it will be based on how many you get, not the length. 10 Lionfish = 1 inch
Posting rules for TOP DOG are the same as regular entries. There will be a separate TOP DOG for Freedive AND Scuba! Prizes will be provided by Speared!
To enter a fish in any category you must
- Spear and land your fish with a witness to the catch
- Take a photo of the fish that clearly shows the length of the fish (tip- also take a picture of you wearing the hat holding the fish. That will make better pictures for all of the sponsors to share!)
- Fish should be measured according to Federal regulations
- A measuring tape should be used and a picture of the length of the fish should be clearly visible ** Update April 3rd 2017-- Tape measure must be laid under the fish, on a flat surface. You must clearly see the beginning of the tape measure and the final measurement. Multiple pictures may be needed. Entries that don't follow this rule will not be entered. (Clarification-- the tape doesnt have to be directly under the fish, but it cannot be laid over the top of the fish. Bottom line, there should be no question on the length of the fish)
- Tournament hat must clearly be displayed with photo of the fish
- Verification of date is needed in the submission (picture of phone, picture info, picture of watch, etc)
- Post must include typed length of fish and date in post.
- How to post your entry? You must post it on the Florida Spearfishing Facebook Group. Do not "share" it to this page, as it will not show up for everyone to see. It must be posted by "Write Post" on the Home page of Florida Spearfishing.
- Photo must be entered within 30 days of catch
- Judges reserve the right to challenge any entry. Proof must be provided by the person entering the fish if additional information is asked for.
- Breach of any fisheries laws and regulations, or suspected breach, will be sufficient ground for disqualification. All local fisheries regulations must be complied with.
- All fish must be taken in Florida waters. No Bahamas.
- One person can hold a single category in both Freediving and scuba score boards. If that person wants to enter another fish the other fish will be removed from the board.
- Fish measurement go to the closest quarter inch, must beat previous fish by at least full inch to take its spot on the board.
- **Update April 3rd 2017- Commercial fish are allowed for both Top Dog and Species leaders, however, only fish that are open to the recreational diver can be entered. (If Gag Grouper is closed for the recreational diver, a commercial Gag Grouper cannot be entered until season opens.)
- Rules are subject to change
- Rule changes will be posted on the Facebook Group. It is up to you to know the rules before you post your fish.
Pics must include
- Tournament hat
- Date Verification
- Clear measurement of fish (TAPE MEASURE MUST BE UNDER FISH FLAT ON GROUND OR FLAT OBJECT) Multiple images may be needed to remove any doubt of fish size. If you fail to prove without a question the length of your fish, your fish may not count.
- For lionfish quantity of fish must be clearly countable
|African Pompano||Red Tide|
|African Pompano||Infinite Descent|
|Amberjack||Hatch Custom Spearguns|
|Cobia||The Dive Source|
|Black Grouper||Austins Dive Center|
|Hogfish||Marine Fiberglass Direct|
|Mangrove||Jose Debasa Photography|
|Mutton||Islamorada Dive Center|
|Sheepshead||Austin Powell Photography|