Tournament starts: February 1st 2020
MUST PURCHASE 2020 FLORIDA SPEARFISHING REGISTRATION ON THIS SITE.
Florida Spearfishing Tournament Rules
Reminders and Updates for 2020!--
- Start/End Dates: Tournament Starts February 1st, ending on November 14th
- $80 Entry Fee
- All submissions must be submitted onto the Facebook group and the website no later than 7 days after the fish was harvested.
- Free Blue Wild Entry: All tournament registrations come with a free pass into Blue wild on Saturday November 21st. ($20 Value)
- Award Ceremony at Blue Wild: The award ceremony will take place on stage Saturday afternoon from 4:30PM till 5:30PM before the annual Blue Wild Raffle. Immediately after the raffle, there will be an after party. After party details TBD.
- Combining Categories: SCUBA African Pompano & Permit Categories have combined into one category. This category will take your longest fish of either African Pompano, or Permit.
- New Species: Triggerfish and Scamp Grouper are new categories for SCUBA
- Women’s Top Dog Freedive and SCUBA categories are a winner takes all. There are no individual prizes for categories under the Women’s division.
- MEASUREMENTS: All measurements must start at the fork of the tail, with the tape measure pulled tight to the nose. There must be hands holding the tape measure tight to the tail and pulling the tape measure passed the nose, not allowing for any wrinkles or dripping of tape measure. The Photos must be taken from directly above the fish. ALL FISH MOUTHS MUST BE CLOSED.
o You may bleed a fish, if done properly without damaging the throat. Proper bleeding requires a simple slit along the collar of the fish, severing blood supply to the gills. There is no need for a throat to be ripped out or for the neck to be dismembered.
o These requirements are easily feasible if taken on land, and must be taken with the help of a witness. Here is the list of requirements, if any single requirement is not made, TWO points will be taken from the Honor Bonus Bank.
1) Hand holding Tape Measure tight and up against the fork of the tail
2) Proof of Date, Tape Measure, and Witness present
3) Tape pulled tight passed the nose of the fish. Tape measure will not be angled to bottom of lip for additional length, must end with tape measure at a 90 Degree and perpendicular to starting point on tail.
4) Pictures must include close up of tail, close up of nose, and entire fish with entire measurement. Pictures must be taken directly on top of the fish. Any angled photos will not count.
Dishonest or improper measurements will result in an administration vote for measurement correction in addition to the Honor Bonus Bank point reduction.
- HONOR BONUS: We have a new Honor Bonus. Every shooter begins with 5 free points to add to their total aggregate length. For every dishonest measurement, TWO points will be taken away. (We know not all poor measurements are on purpose, this is simply a method to increase legitimacy of measures)
- Team Calcutta: Two-person team, with team points being an AVERAGE of the two shooters aggregate length of target species. The entry cost for the team is 200$ per team. The teammate selection will be restricted, banning anyone in the top 5 leaderboard from 2019 to join forces (NO SUPER TEAMS)
- Team Calcutta Cash payouts for the Top 5 Teams in both Freedive and SCUBA divisions with payout dependent on number of people entered.
- Team Calcutta Payout Structure: 1st Place (40%), 2nd Place (20%), 3rd Place (10%), 4th Place (5%), 5th Place (5%), House Takes 20%.
- Lionfish Category is an independent category sponsored by ZOOKEEPER. For every 200 Lionfish submitted, you will receive one raffle ticket for an all inclusive live aboard Flower GardensLionfish Invitational Trip. The person who submits the most lionfish will receive the title and trophy for #1 Top Dog Lionfish Hunter. Dont forget to submit your largest and smallest, since we will be giving away trophies for the smallest and largest Lionfish submitted as well.
Rules for the top dog: Person with the longest length of fish at the end of the year will be crowned Florida Spearfishing's TOP DOG. It is up to the participant to keep track. Post pictures the same way you would for any other category, on the Facebook Group. You can only lead in one species of fish, but if you can enter your catch if you're trying for the Top Dog. Start entering your fish now, as we will continually update the leaderboard.
Person with the longest length of fish is the winner, however, the most species trumps the length! -- Example: A person with an overall length of 120 inches is in the lead with 4 different species of fish. Someone can take the lead with a smaller overall length, but 5 species. So the person with the most species will always win, if there are multiple people with all species, we will crown the winner based on the total length!
Largest Lionfish will be counted in the TOP DOG categories.
Posting rules for TOP DOG are the same as regular entries. There will be a separate TOP DOG for Freedive AND Scuba for each the open, Women's and Junior Categories!
To enter a fish in any category you must
- Spear and land your fish with a witness to the catch
- Take a photo of the fish that clearly shows the length of the fish (tip- also take a picture of you wearing old hats holding the fish. That will make better pictures for all of the sponsors to share!)
- Fish should be measured according to Federal regulations
- A measuring tape should be used and a picture of the length of the fish should be clearly visible. Tape measure must be laid OVER the fish, on a flat surface from tail to nose. It must be pulled tight without any wrinkles and not draped over the nose. You must clearly see the beginning of the tape measure and the final measurement. Multiple pictures may be needed. Entries that don't follow this rule will not be entered. (There should be no question on the length of the fish) **SEE UPDATES REGARDING HONOR MEASUREMENT REQUIREMENTS**
- Verification of date is needed in the submission (picture of phone, picture info, picture of watch, etc)
- Post must include typed length of fish and date in post.
- How to submit your entry? Simply go to the tab for submissions and follow instructions to submit through our online portal. YOU MUST ALSO SHARE ON FACEBOK
- You must post it on the Florida Spearfishing Facebook Group. Do not "share" it to this page, as it will not show up for everyone to see. It must be posted by "Write Post" on the Home page of Florida Spearfishing.
- Photo must be entered within 30 days of catch
- Judges reserve the right to challenge any entry. Proof must be provided by the person entering the fish if additional information is asked for.
- Breach of any fisheries laws and regulations, or suspected breach, will be sufficient ground for disqualification. All local fisheries regulations must be complied with.
- All fish must be taken in Florida waters. No Bahamas.
- One person can hold a single category in both Freediving and scuba score boards. If that person wants to enter another fish the other fish will be removed from the board.
- Fish measurement go to the closest quarter inch, must beat previous fish by at least a 1/2 inch to take its spot on the board.
- Commercial fish are allowed for both Top Dog and Species leaders, however, only fish that are open to the recreational diver can be entered. (If Gag Grouper is closed for the recreational diver, a commercial Gag Grouper cannot be entered until season opens.)
- Rules are subject to change
- Rule changes will be posted on the Facebook Group. It is up to you to know the rules before you post your fish.
Pics must include
- Date Verification
- Clear measurement of fish (TAPE MEASURE MUST BE OVER FISH FLAT ON GROUND OR FLAT OBJECT) Multiple images may be needed to remove any doubt of fish size. If you fail to prove without a question the length of your fish, your fish may not count.
- For lionfish quantity of fish must be clearly countable
|African Pompano||Spear Gods|
|Amberjack||Black Tip Spearguns|
|Black Grouper||Koah Spearguns|
|Red Grouper||Shark Sheild|
Trigger Fish Force E Scuba
Scamp Grouper Speared Apparel
|African Pompano||Red Tide|